Saturday, November 06, 2004

New 10m Radio

Got my "new" 10m radio today. It's a used Radio Shack HTX-100 with a max power output of 45 watts. After trying to operate with it I am still not sure if it works or not!

Part of the problem is that the microphone that came with the radio seems to not be working. I tried transmitting at 28.4 MHz, but the SWR meter I had attached only showed a momentary power deflection, when I pushed the PTT switch. My son Nathan reported that his stereo speakers seemed to be picking up some of the transmission, but nothing intelligible. The other part of the problem is that I couldn't hear anything at all on the entire band when I went looking for transmissions.

So, is my radio broken for receiving, or is nobody on the band? Or perhaps atmospheric conditions aren't propagating any signals? I can't tell. I know a Ham in town with an IC-706 who could possibly transmit so I could see if I could receive him. That's KC7GBQ, Jeff. I'll see if I can arrange it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home